Apprehension

Saturday, July 13, 2019

A silhouette I saw in the horizon amidst the willow trees leaving behind the concrete, it seemed to walk towards salvation. The slumped gait seemed to straighten with every step he took as if he was leaving behind all the mournings, all the dares, all the worldly notions. I couldn't take my eyes off him; the alteration was beguiling. I could sense the shift in his mood, the liberation of thoughts though he was miles away and getting farther and farther by the second. A few moments later, he sprouted a pair of wings and flew away.

Bewildered me, stared at the empty spot, and wondered...Was it my imagination? Or did everything actually happen? I ran down the slope, reached as far as I could; He seemed to have disappeared without a trace. Upon returning, I searched for my wings."If he had one, I must have it too." It took me years to realize I have had one. It had been clipped immediately after my birth with the scissors of societal norms. And though at times, I blamed my circle, It had been me who hadn't let it grow back. It was me who hadn't been able to follow the man despite the pull of freedom. It had been me who caged myself within the concrete thoughts and held back. It had been me all the while.

0 comments: